Thursday 14 July 2011

The Trauma of Writing Artists' Statements

I've been sitting at the computer trying to write a an 'Artist's Statement' for Sharon for over an hour now and have not managed to produce a single coherent sentence. It's just so hard to get the right tone without coming across as pompous, egotistical, bland or cliched. I've written a few words, deleted, written a few more, deleted. I've stared at my hands and wondered about the damage gardening has done to my skin. I've examined the interesting patterns coffee cups have made on the table top. I've checked out news sites to see what the latest on the Murdoch story [personal view: he should be incarcerated in the Tower of London and dealt with in a Medieval manner]. I've meandered around Blogspots. I've checked out the weather forecast [rain in Melton on Saturday, damn it!]. I've Googled this and that and found my way to a Daily Mail article on Pauline Quirke's diet success. Why? I don't like the Daily Mail and only have a vague idea of who Ms. Quirke is. And now I'm doing a blog entry, another evasion, but at least it's writing and my justification is that if I do this I'll eventually get 'focused' and produce a statement that will astound the world.



Last night Sharon and I actually attended a seminar on 'Artist's Statements' in organised by 'Creative Leicestershire'. It was very reassuring to know that other 'creatives' [a word that has emerged from somewhere for folk that do creative stuff] have the same problems that we do in putting into words what we offer to people. I know now that all over the country 'creatives' are 'distraction Googling ' rather getting on with the job of writing their Statements. But that knowledge doesn't help get the job done does it? I'd better get on with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment