Saturday 13 August 2011

Busy swallows

We woke to a cold rainy morning here, the sort of fine rain that wets you through and gets in everywhere, the sort of rain that makes standing out on a market stall totally miserable and spoils the stock to boot!
Decision made - we return to bed with steaming mugs of tea, magazines and books.....................I fell back to sleep and dreamed of a camping holiday on the edge of a wide deep river, I am able to dive in, swimming out to where the water is deeper than any I have been in - I know this because it is crystal clear, I worry that I won't be able to stay afloat but am woken by a delivery man hammering at the door, cross and very, very wet.
Funny isn't it - when some cultures have so many different names for snow, why haven't we Brits got more names for rain?



                                          Birds on a wire.

When the rain stopped I noticed what were seemingly rows of smartly dresed little gentlemen in black tailcoats and crisp starched shirts all chittering and practicing their semaphore on the cables outside. Sadly my cameras zoom is not good enough to capture them and many flew away the moment I stepped outside.........



Magical moment.

More and more birds arrived and settled in the Rowan tree across the paddock, every so often swooping away, swirling and diving, circling up and then back for a while to the wires and the Rowan.
I crept upstairs to try and get a better shot, when this little fellow stopped on the edge of the open window. I don't know who was more surprised, him or me!



Another lineup.

No doubt mustering themselves ready for the long flight back to Africa! I am always so sad to see then go watching their aeronautic displays fills me with joy...............but again it is such a pleasure to spot the first one back in the spring!

Sharon.

























No comments:

Post a Comment